Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snowwwwww Day

After a ton of snow overnight, I woke up with high hopes. After rolling out of bed at 7:45 this morning, I saw an email from KSU. My eyes got wide with excitement. My heart raced as my eyes began to scan through the letters on the screen: "Due to inclement weather:..."

Those are the 4 sweetest words I've ever laid eyes on. In an excited rush, I continued to read: "* Ashtabula Campus has canceled morning classes (through noon). Staff report.

* Geauga Campus and Twinsburg Center have canceled morning classes (through noon). Staff report.

* Tuscarawas Campus has canceled classes all day. Staff report.
"

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME KENT STATE UNIVERSITY. You close all the regional campuses and keep the main campus open. What have I done to deserve this punishment?

So grudgingly, I suited up and got everything ready for the commute in. I realized that I had two options.

a) Take side streets in. They'd be unplowed, but I'd significantly lower my chances of being hit by a driver that lost control.

b) Take a main road in. They'd be in much better shape than side streets, but my ass getting ran over significantly increases.

I chose option A. Bad choice.

It'd It normally takes ten minutes to ride into work. It took me 45 minutes today. The roads were so bad that I ended up pushing my bike most of the way. On the plus side it got my heart rate going pretty immediately.

So after making it to campus alive, albeit a bit sweaty and out of breath. I get to my first class at 9:30, only 15 minutes late. Half way through class, someone gets a campus advisory text message. Classes are cancelled effective 11am. Great. All that work for nothing.

So after class, I bundled back up, turned on the Planet Bike Superflash, (which I fully reccomend for anyone and everyone, by the way) and continued the trek home.

I decided to take the main roads, in hopes that it was less treacherous than the side streets. I took 59 to S. Water, and while they were better than the side streets, they weren't too great by any means. Thank goodness everyone gave me enough space, because I figured I'd slide out and get run over or something shitty like that.

I think I want to win the lottery, so I can buy studded tires, and a Pugsley. That'd rule.

So after reading all this stuff, you get rewarded with some bonus content, a snow bike check.

It's a old-ass GT MTB, with the freehub welded to make it a fixed gear, built up with parts I found in the depths of my basement and Eddy's dumpster. Nothing notable about it, besides the super comfy Brooks. Grand total cost, probably $50.










And here's one of me looking thrilled to be outside. Note the Ski goggles and the Marc Jacobs combat boots, worth approximately ten times the bike. High fashion matters when you're riding a dumpster bike to class, heh.



So time to do some productive stuff today. Continue overhauling my Long Haul Trucker, and put 45 minutes in on the rollers.

1 comment:

Feel It: The Factory Rider said...

Are fixies tough without clipless pedals?