Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl Century (Sorta)

So in my search through local cycling blogs, I saw that Brett Davis posted up details for a ride he was planning on super bowl Sunday. I emailed him and he said it was cool to tag along.

Hmm, a ride in such bad weather? Sign me up, anything to escape the rollers. Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to do it on my fixed Cross Check. Not saying I regret it, but I'm sitting here at work today feeling like I got run over by a truck. Watch out CAT 5's, Sport MTBers, and aspiring cyclocrossers, I'm getting crazy base miles!!!!

So after leaving Kent at 6:45am, which is pretty terrible for a non-morning person such as myself, I was en route to the east side of Cleveland and Brett's house. Upon arriving, I introduced myself to Brett, Ross, and Steve, who may I add, are all really good guys and a blast to ride (and snack) with.



The nitty gritty details of the route we went are up on Brett's blog, so check it out. Since I'm very confused by the east side, I'll give you an abridged version:

Upon leaving Brett's house we made it up to Cleveland, and headed west. Riding along the lake and into Lakewood and Rocky River, we were treated to a spectacular view and some stiff headwinds. After making it to Rocky River, we started heading south into the metroparks. Through Berea, Strongsville, my hometown of North Royalton, we were about half way through the ride. Going into Brecksville Reservation, I was treated to some fun no footed downhills, weeeeeeeee!

After bombing into Brecksville reservation, my legs started feeling the burn a bit. Seeing my computer at about 75 miles had my spirit a bit down too. I kept thinking I was going to keel over dead. The climb up Riverview road was... um, interesting. Whatever juice I had in my legs was long gone after that. So after cruising for a bit more, we were left at the Durham creek climb, which was taxing both mentally and physically. Looking down at your speed when you're climing and seeing 6MPH staring you back into the face is one good way to let you know you've got nothing left.

After that last killer climb, we were home free. My spirits were a bit lifted and I fought hard to catch up with Brett, Ross, and Steve, who are all way too strong and kept me working my ass off the entire time. So we finished off at 95 miles, and I'll grab the rest of the stats off my computer when I get home. Good ride guys.

No comments: