Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Good Weather = Off Road

So in celebration of the great weather today, 67 degrees!!!! Andrew and I decided to go to Mohican Wilderness. Get a change of scenery and ride what some claim to be the best singletrack in Ohio.

So after stopping at a gas station to get some snacks, time warp two hours, and we're at Mohican by 1pm.

It's something else down there. It's strange to think that the geography and culture an hour fifteen from my house is quite different. I realized it would be neat to live down there for maybe a month before I got sick of nothing to do.

We quickly found a place to park, suited up, and hit the trail.

Holy shit it was hilly. Seriously. My Salsa is overgeared, and it failed to cross my mind until I hit some of these climbs. I stood no chance. The second I got home I started pricing out 32t Salsa chainrings, credit card grasped between my trembling fingers.

Here I am struggling up an old logging road, which crisscross the single track and serve as a connector to many of the sections. All I can say is that anyone planning on racing the OMBC race here is in for a treat.
006

Here's Andrew, reaping the benefit of gears:


So after these wild climbs come some pretty fast downhills. I really enjoyed screaming down them and railing some berms. It should be awesome to hit them race speed and hold on for dear life.

The one problem we faced on this ride was our inability to find the trail. The typical situation went a little something like this: cruising along all is well, and we'd be faced with a treacherous climb, being the naive guys we are, we would huff and puff and struggle up to the top of these climbs. When we got to the crest of the hill, we'd look around and there'd be nowhere to go. So back down the hill it took us fifteen minutes to climb. And what do you know, there's the singletrack! And it's not at the top of a HUGE HILL. So safe to say, wasn't the fast riding here today, but man it was fun. After finally getting our bearings we found out the last portion of the trail has super good flow. Here I am navigating a little step down between 2 trees.
015

We quickly cruised through it back to the trailhead. Along the way, Andrew's stem stripped, which cut our day short. Sucked, but so it goes...

No comments: