Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Break Cruisin'

My grand plan today was to wake up ass-early, ride out to Quail Hollow, put in some laps, and ride back home.

Well, spring break happened. I slept in until 2 o'clock. Whoops. I guess it's a perk of someone who just lost their job and doesn't have shit else to do.

So with day light dwindling, I figured some riding was better than none. So I suited up and decided to take the Salsa for a spin to make sure everything was in order for the OMBC race at Mohican Wilderness this weekend.

One thing I quickly realized is that a single speed mountain bike's gearing is less than optimal for riding on the roads. I was pushing 32-19 and felt like a hamster on a wheel. All that work and nothing to show for it. So after cruising speed was established on flat at a glacial 15 miles an hour. I forged ahead.

After a quick spin around the block to loosen up the old hams, I figured I should try to hit as many hills as I could find, being that Mohican Wilderness it chock full of them.

See, the problem with this thought is: Portage County is pretty much farm land. There are no hills. Here's a snap of Meloy Rd, from the top. Something's wrong when this was the biggest climb of the day for me.
IMG_0892.JPG

After conquering that grueling climb, I pedaled on. The weather was right on the verge of being cold. My body could not make up its mind whether I was sweaty or freezing. It sucked. I'd climb a hill and start to feel myself working up a sweat, but quickly on the ascent I'd be caught with a cold breeze and feel like I was going to free to death.

Onward I cruised. Up Howe Rd, over to Meloy, North on Powdermill, where I snapped this picture of my shadowy doppleganger.
IMG_0895.JPG

After Powdermill I swung back by Brady Lake for my daily dose of nice scenery. I need to perfect the excellent take a picture of yourself while you ride move, because man I look pissed off here.
IMG_0897.JPG

Bikin' on by the lake I was home free. I turned in about 15 miles in little over an hour. The Salsa felt good, and I'm really excited to see how this weekend fares at Mohican Wilderness.

Tomorrow is the Summit Freewheeler's group ride. So hopefully having a group of people to ride with lights a spark under my arse to ramp up the training a bit.

1 comment:

Andrew Miller said...

That self-pic to the side is a hard one to get. For some reason I always look scared in mine. Tonights ride should be fun.